Friday, October 21, 2011

Saskatchewan Menus - One day at a time

I was recently asked, "What do you eat?" Seems some people can't imagine what a local diet looks like. So, now and then, I'll post our daily menus with sources (and some recipes) as inspiration to all Saskatchewan locavores. Starting with...

Breakfast: Cheerios. Saskatchewan is the largest supplier of oats to the big brand name cereal companies, so even though Cheerios are made in the U.S., they are a taste of Saskatchewan.

Lunch: Re-heated wild rice. Leftovers from another meal, seasoned simply with salt and pepper. The wild rice was harvested near La Ronge and purchased at the SaskMake Marketplace

Dinner: Pasta with tomatoes and basil. Purchased pasta labelled "Product of Canada" -- the durum wheat is grown in Saskatchewan. Tomatoes and basil from my garden.

Garden tomatoes ripening in the kitchen.

3 comments:

Bernie said...

I always find it hard to believe that people have no concept about where there food comes from.
I have a large garden and buy my meat semi locally (southern Sask) but this includes beef, pork and chicken. We get our fish from the farmers market. At this point we don't have an orchard so I shamelessly beg for apples etc from friends! We buy local beer most of the time. When I have a choice between product of Canada and Italy - it's easy.
I applaud your efforts to promote Saskatchewan products and I thoroughly enjoyed your book.

Andrew said...

That's awesome that you still have tomatoes and basil from your garden at this time of year! Do you have a greenhouse?
Saskatchewan durum is even exported to Italy.

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thanks, Bernie! And no, I don't have a greenhouse, but I have a pile of tomatoes ripening on my kitchen floor and a potted basil on the windowsill.