Monday, February 28, 2011

Yogurt, please

We Canadians are hungry for yogurt. According to StatsCanada, our yogurt consumption more than doubled from 1998 to 2008 - from 2.4 litres to 5.4 litres of yogurt per person per year. It was just .03 of a litre in 1960!

According to Dannon, the largest maker of yogurt in the world, Canadians eat twice as much yogurt as our American friends.

Since we love our yogurt, perhaps you'd like to try making your own. It's easy. There are many websites explaining the process. You might start with this one: Yogurt Everyday.

When I make yogurt, I buy Dairyland milk (it's from Saskatchewan cows) and a good, plain natural yogurt (not low-fat) with live cultures. I leave the yogurt to incubate on the counter in an insulated soup thermos. Make a couple batches at home until you find a process that works best for you. Let me know how it goes...

1 comment:

umbrellalady said...

I also make homemade yogurt but occasionally I wind up with sour cream if I leave it in too long. Once it is cooled well, and then strained (in the fridge), it makes lovely, thick sour cream that has a bit of yogurt tang to it. (No, it definitely is not yogurt cheese because I make that as well!) So easy and so delicious!