Friday, July 01, 2011

Don't waste rhubarb!

Easier said than done! My rhubarb is suddenly soooo prolific. I canned four jars a rhubarb in honey-water for my winter enjoyment. But for quick eating, here's my favourite recipe for rhubarb muffins. I've had this recipe so long, I don't recall where it originated. I make it several times every summer.

Rhubarb Muffins
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup chopped rhubarb
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
Topping: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp melted butter, 1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in the rhubarb. In a mixing bowl, blend sugar and oil. Mix in egg, buttermilk and vanilla until well blended.

Pour the contents of the mixing bowl into the flour-rhubarb mixture. Blend with a wooden spoon as briefly as possible, just until the flour is incorporated. Spoon the batter into a 12-muffin tin (oiled or lined with paper cups).

Mix the topping ingredients together. Sprinkle evenly on top of each muffin. Bake at 350F for 20-25 min.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to give this a try. TX. I sure enjoy your blog - come back every few days to see what you are cooking up.
Bernie (fellow farm girl)

Robyn said...

Wow! So delicious and moist, I can't stop eating them! I'm a big fan of your book and blog, which I first learned about at a Farmers' Market Dinner that you did a reading at. Thanks for making me more local-food conscious!

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thanks Bernie and Robyn for dropping by my blog. If it's raining again tomorrow, I think it will be a rhubarb muffin kind of day...