Friday, February 11, 2011

Crowning the King of Kovbasa

The 2011 King of the Kovbasa was crowned last night in Saskatoon. After a blind taste test and secret ballot (by 500 discerning palates) the unanimous winner was the koubasa made by the Saskatoon Co-op Marketplace on Attridge!


It was also my personal favourite. My top three included the koubasa from Emco Meats in Saskatoon and the Smokehaus in Martensville. Which, I might add, are also my personal favourite koubasa when I'm not blind taste-testing.

It's always a colourful sight as great platters of sausage are ceremoniously carried into the hall by members of the Pavlychenko Folklorique Ensemble dressed in traditional Ukrainian folk costumes, accompanied by lively accordion music and rhythmic clapping from the crowd.

This was the tenth annual King of the Kovbasa -- definitely a highlight of the culinary calendar in Saskatoon!

No comments: