Monday, August 23, 2010

Food coloumn recipes and sources

My food column in today's newspaper contains some menu ideas for Local Foods Day on Sat., August 28. Here are the sources and recipes for those suggestions:

Bratwurst and other sausages: There are plenty of amazing butchers in Saskatchewan, so there's no need to buy sausages made anywhere else. What I love about our butchers is that so many of them incorporate a particular sausage-making tradition, from a particular part of the world, so you'll find unique items at each one. In the past year or so, I've bought sausages at:

Emco Meats in Saskatoon (East European), Maggie's Deli in Saskatoon (Polish), Pulvermacher Butcher in Bruno (German), Smokehaus in Martensville (Mennonite) and West Bridgeford Meats of Tugaske. I particularly like the breakfast sausages at the Smokehaus.

Potato Salad - Saskatchewan has a thriving potato industry, so always choose one grown close to home. Many of the potatoes sold in grocery stores are Saskatchewan potatoes, though not labelled as such.

The same goes for Eggs. Many major brand name eggs are laid in Saskatchewan.

Corn on the cob, homemade pickles and many other fresh and preserved vegetables - If you don't grow (and make) these in your family, you can always rely on the families at the Saskatoon Farmers' Market and the Community Farmers' Market (located at St. James' Church).

Cherry Ice Cream - Prairie Sun Orchard at the Saskatoon Farmers' Market.

Egg Salad Sandwiches - See my note about eggs above.

As for Bread, pick some up at a local bakery.

Fish - I buy fish at Fono's Fish at the Saskatoon Farmers' Market. It's caught north in Dore Lake.

As for Chicken, I usually buy direct from the farm such as Pine View Farms (available at Souleio Foods in Saskatoon) and most recently, from Cool Springs Ranch.

Recipes - These are my recipes, or some of my favourites recipes found on-line:
Chickpea and Apple Salad Chickpeas that are "product of Canada" were most likely grown in Sask.
Fish Cakes Catch your own or buy from Fono's at the Farmers' Market.
Wild Rice Salad I buy wild rice in bulk, but it's also available at the Sask Made Marketplace on 8th. St.
Red Salad All the "reds" are available at the farmers' market.
Lentil Cucumber Salad Be sure to buy Canadian lentils, because they are grown in Saskatchewan.
Apple Crisp Lots of local apples this time of year -- I like using crab apples.
Oatmeal Zucchini Cookies I buy local oats in big bags from Mum's on 20th St.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Saw your recent post about wild rice. Was wondering if you might like to try Goose Valley Wild Rice. I can have a sample sent to you free of charge if you are interested in trying out the brand.

Let me know and check out www.goosevalley.com for recipe ideas.

Best,

Nicole

JJ Moneysauce said...

I tend to digress on the fish. Having spent so much time in the north over the years and seeing first hand the damage that commercial fishing (and indiscriminate angling and subsistence fishing) has done to the fishery, commercial fishing really bothers me on an ethical ground. That's just my two cents though.