Sunday, January 03, 2010

Soup Week 1 - PEAR & SQUASH SOUP

In keeping with my New Year's resolution ~ to make a pot of soup every week, preferably a different soup each time ~ I made this pear and curry flavoured soup for guests ~ Tom and Eva, with their daughter Magda and her husbad Lars. I used local pears I picked and canned last August. Mmmm a bite of summer...

Curried Pear and Acorn Squash Soup
1 acorn squash
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion in thin slices
1-2 tbsp curry powder
Salt & white pepper
4 cups water
1 cup chopped canned pears and their juice (about 1/2 cup juice)
1/2 cup cream
cooked wild rice

Peel, seed and chop the squash into small chunks. You should have 4-5 cups of squash.

Melt the butter in a soup pot and sauté the onions. When the onions have softened, stir in 1 tbsp curry powder, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the water and the squash. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer, covered, until the squash can be pierced with a fork (about 30 min). Add the chopped pears and juice. Cook another 15 min.

Remove from the heat and cool. Purée the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the pot. Taste for seasoning and add more curry powder if you like it hotter. Stir in the cream and heat, but don't boil. To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl and place a spoonful of rice in the centre.

2 comments:

Puck said...

Amy jo, I'm looking forward to your 'year of soups'. Over Christmas our family made 3x as much scalloped potatoes than needed. I ended up throwing it in a pot with lots of water and chicken stock for potato soup. When it came to pureeing, my sister-in-law said to use her hand held blender. What a revelation! I had stopped making pureed soups because I couldn't stand the mess and danger of exploding blenders. The potato soup was great. I love soup and make most of them from leftovers. Now I can puree them with abandon.
all the best and looking forward to the rest, Puck

Green Tea said...

Nice post, thanks for sharing this wonderful and useful information with us.

Green Tea Weight Loss