Friday, May 01, 2009

Locally made paté - Do it yourself!

A birthday gift to myself -- Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. Charcuterie refers to the processing of meat by smoking, curing, salting, drying, etc., and includes bacon, ham, sausages, paté, terrines, confit and more. I began with paté: Venison and Dried Sour Cherry Paté (wild venison and Saskatchewan sour cherries) and Paté de Grandmere (pork with chicken liver - pictured above). All major ingredients were locally procured. Making paté was a bit time-consuming, but not hard to do. These early forays into charcuterie were quite successsful. Next... I'm looking for a hog's head to make headcheese. (Which, contrary to popular misconception, does not include the brains!)

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Glad to see new additions to your blog. I hope you've had a peaceful refreshing rest. Thank you for all your input to eating locally. My husband and I are building in the Eco-Village in Craik, maybe we shall meet sometime. We are journaling our build at:
http://riverstonestudios.ca/ and
http://lifeinevverybreath.blogspot.com/