Monday, December 18, 2006

My belly likes your jelly

Boris and Anne gave me a big jar of their Dolgo Crabapple Jelly. The note attached says it’s for my Christmas goose, but it got first use with venison.

A couple days ago I took a paper-wrapped package marked WT out of the freezer. WT stands for White Tail Deer, shot by our hunting friend Rick. I thought it might be ground meat that I could use in a bean stew, but it turned out to be tenderloin. John is a master with this choice selection: Slice the tenderloin into centimetre-thick slices. Crosshatch the meat with the edge of a plate, one way and then the other, on both sides. In a bag, mix flour, salt and pepper, and shake each piece of meat in the bag. Heat some lard (or a mix of butter and olive oil) on high in a cast iron frying pan. Fry each venison steak, turning once, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with Boris and Anne’s Dolgo Crabapple Jelly, or your own yummy version. MMMmmmmm.

For a really good side dish, try the Roasted Beet and Walnut Salad posted on this blog on 17 October 2005.

No comments: