Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Rhubarb to the Rescue

This time of year, I struggle to suppress my natural instinct to go out into the wilds (read: back alleys) of Saskatoon and forage for rhubarb. The devil on my left shoulder says Go ahead, back alleys are fair game. The angel on my right shoulder say, Nooooo, that's somebody's pie. 

Then I think of my friend Eva who had an altercation with a back-alley forager who was stealing her rhubarb. Notice I said "stealing." Yes, she considered it theft of the highest degree. So, no back alleys for me.

My friend Celine to the rescue. (She knows me so well!) Celine proffered a bag of freshly-picked rhubarb from her (well-fenced) back yard. So, will it be pie or crisp? I was heading out for a long weekend with friends at their cabin on Lake Diefenbaker. With little time to make a pie, I opted for the crisp. So simple, so quick and so delicious. And if you don't have any rhubarb with which to make this crisp, I can recommend a certain back alley at midnight...
  
Filling:
4-5 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
 
Crisp:
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter

1. Mix filling ingredients and spread into a baking dish.

2. For the crisp, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. 

3. Cut butter into small pieces and drop into flour mixture. Using your fingers, squish butter into the flour mixture until there are no large lumps of butter and it has a crumbly consistency. 

4. Spread over rhubarb.

5. Bake at 360F for 40-50 minutes. The crisp is done when the filling is bubbly and the topping is lightly toasted. 

Postscript: The lilacs were foraged in a back alley. But they were hanging over the fence!

 
I made a second rhubarb crisp for a Victoria Day picnic in Saskatoon's Patterson Garden.

2 comments:

amg said...

If you (or any of your loyal readers) need rhubarb, my rhubarb patch is super productive! I would be happy to share!!
-- Andrea G

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thank you Andrea! I know where you live...