Friday, July 15, 2016

Got berries? Make clafoutis!

It's a French brunch-y thing conveniently suited to the berries of a prairie summer. It's tradition in France to leave the pits in the cherries, so you decide...

2 tbsp butter
3 eggs
3 tbsp sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1 tbsp flour
2 cup mixed berries such as cherries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, low bush cranberries, saskatoons. You can also add some thinly sliced rhubarb.

Heat the oven to 350F. Put butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet or a pie plate. Place in oven until butter is melted but not brown.

Meanwhile, in a blender mix eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. With the blades running, add 1 cup flour and blend well.

Toss fruit with remaining 1 tbsp flour.

Remove the skillet or pie plate from the oven. Pour in the batter and scatter the fruit on top. Return to the oven. Bake about 20-25 minutes, until the centre of the custard is set.

Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar or cool with a drizzle of syrup.

2 comments:

JoyD Gulas said...

I leave the pits in the cherries - it makes the food more interactive. As well my French neighbours tell me, the flavour is enhanced by leaving in the pits. They wouldn't dream of removing them. I add less flour to mine and my neighbours have christened my clafouti as Canadian clafouti. I suppose that's how generalizations and stereotypes begin. I add more flour when I make Far Breton - essentially the same recipe as yours except with prunes that have been soaked in cognac or armagnac - sigh. Prunes have never tasted so good and they are good for your health. Off to the market tomorrow. Wish you were here!

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thanks Joy. I knew that about the pits but with my luck I'd take someone's tooth out! A franko friend tells me that when made with berries other than cherries it's called flaunarde. Wish I was there too!!