Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Ford-for-a-Day Food Tour

If Ford offered you a car for a day and $500 spending money, what would you do? I decided to grab some friends and take the Ford Focus for a local food tour in and around Saskatoon.

 
The day began at a bakery... isn't that the best way to start a day?? The Night Oven has a large stone mill in back so I bought some fresh-ground flours (buckwheat and white) plus some sweet treats for sharing over coffee. Our friends Annie and Ward jumped into the car with us and we headed north of the city.

First stop, Pine View Farm at Osler. We had a good discussion with the owner, Melanie Boldt, about aging meat for 42 days. Cause if I aged meat for 42 days in my fridge it would probably be green! However, they know what they're doing and, as a result, the meat is extra tender and flavourful. And pricey! But it was a splurge, no?

 
We set off for the Smokehaus in Martensville, multi-winner of the annual King of the Koubasa award. Smells all smoky wonderful in there!! But the sweet spot of the morning was an unexpected stop just north of Martensville - a quick u-turn on the highway - for a gorgeous farmyard market.

Wow!! What a great offering of veggies, meats, pies, perogies, baking and even lard!! (It's really hard to find pure farm lard, which like for pie pastry). I bought a box of little jams for the Saskatoon Food Bank. Gotta share the local flavours!!

Heading back into the city, we made a pit stop at the Saskatoon Farmers' Market. Can I have one of everything!! Well, not quite...


Then down Valley Road to see what's new. I dropped in on my former colleague at CBC Radio, Joan Merrill, who runs Robertson Valley Farm with her husband Don. Amazing broccoli. Kohlrabi the size of cabbages!!

We stopped in at the Berry Barn and bought... strawberries!! Yes, the saskatoon berry barn is now growing strawberries, too. Who knew??

 
We wrapped up the day by taking two friends, Susan and Brent, for dinner at The Hollows. I recently heard a CBC Radio show about the chef growing the produce she uses in the restaurant. Her ethic is heirloom vegetables and the whole animal nose-to-tail thing. She won my heart with a cocktail called a Marigold topped with flowers. I love to eat flowers. :)
 
One last stop on the tour: the next morning I dropped off a selection of jams and jellies at the Saskatoon Food Bank. I hope they bring a smile to a child who loves strawberry, or plum, or raspberry, or...
 
 
As for the Ford Focus... It was fun to drive. The trunk was a little small for all our purchases (including those of our friends). It was low to the ground, but fortunately we didn't drive any difficult rural roads. It was a standard shift, which is fine with me, but it was the first time I had a car with 6 gears. I asked twitter what #6 was for, and someone replied "hydroplane." Yes, it was easy to speed in this car... very smooth, quiet and effortless. And red!!


No comments: