Monday, December 22, 2014

Prairie Kitchens - Jelly Salad

Almost ten years ago, in spring 2005, I began writing this food column in the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix. This is my last installment.

Back in 2005, my husband and I had embarked on an eat-Saskatchewan adventure to source almost all our food within the province. Over the years, I highlighted many of those foods – wild, cultivated and processed – that Saskatchewan has to offer, as well as the recipes and food traditions cherished by those who call this province home.

It sparked two books, Prairie Feast in 2010 and Out of Old Saskatchewan Kitchens in September, both of which owe their genesis in no small part to the opportunities this column has given me. In the new year, I'm heading to Europe to research another book, a history of wheat, for which I received a Canada Council writers' grant. New adventures await…

Looking back over the past ten years, I observe one significant gap in the subject matter of this column: jelly salad. Jelly salads are iconic in Saskatchewan, if not on the modern dinner table then in our fondest memories of fall suppers and holiday meals.

In my family, no Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner passed without my mom's jelly salad. However, my all-time favourite Jell-o concoction is made by my brother's mother-in-law, Enid Burton of Saskatoon. At her dinner table, it is served with the turkey but is also good as dessert. We call it Pink Stuff. So I sign off today with a Jell-o recipe and wish you merry adventures in the kitchen and a prosperous New Year.
"Pink Stuff" Jell-O Salad
1 large box strawberry Jell-o powder
2 cups boiling water
2 cups dream whip
1 1/2 or 2 cups mini marshmallows, plain or coloured

Stir Jell-o with boiling water until powder is dissolved. Cool and refrigerate until Jell-o is jiggly but not set. With an electric mixer, beat in cool whip until well incorporated. Stir in marshmallows. Refrigerate until mealtime.

(This article was first published in the Saskatoon Star Phoenix.)

6 comments:

Lexus888 said...

Amy Jo,
This morning I was sad to learn that I won't be reading your wonderful articles in the Star Phoenix - it has become one of my favourites every week!
Thank you for honouring the women (mostly) who have fed their families and communities over the decades in our province, and for showing how valuable their work was and still is. I especially liked your article from about a year ago, when you were transitioning out of restaurant reviews. You said that the best food that people can enjoy is at home with people that they love. I have embraced that philosophy because of your article, and my husband and I now place a higher value on the meals that we eat together at home as a family, than meals that we would eat out at a restaurant.
Good luck and I look forward to your book on Wheat, once it is written!
Sincerely,
Dawn Friesen
Saskatoon, SK

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thank you, Dawn. It's wonderful that you've taken my musings to heart. I'm looking forward to new foods and new adventures... :)

JoyD said...

Jelly salad - now there's a piece of nostalgia. One jelly salad I do remember was essentially coleslaw in lime jello. Sorry but my words would not be as kind as yours in regards to the pink stuff. There is no denying that it was a regular feature on the holiday table. It saw its day . . .

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Go ahead, JoyD, besmirch the Pink Stuff. We who eat it once a year hold our heads high... Besides, it sure beats coleslaw in lime jello. :)

Sarah said...

Good luck with the next great project. I am reading "Out of Old Saskatchewan Kitchens" and really enjoying it. It saves me from bugging my friends Mum's for their best recipes!

ricky albert danganan said...

Hello there,
Great foods!! Thank you so much for sharing these, we are truly inspired!!! We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com/ with over 7 million users worldwide... Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and deserves to be included on the Top list!!

We will feature your blog and create shout outs about your recipes to our fan pages.
MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility from the web and share/save foods and recipes. Some of them receive at least 10,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.

If you’d like to be featured, expand your readership and JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, here's the link where you can add your blog to the list>> http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs (Joining won't cost you any cents)
Kind regards
-Ricky