Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Split Pea Soup

I'm cleaning out my pantry, which explains why I'm making a pot of split pea soup in July. Or maybe I'm just channeling next winter with a hearty soup and a travel guide to Greece. Whatever the motive, this soup is so easy to make, there's really no recipe:


Boil one smoked ham hock in water until the meat is just about falling from the bone. (I bought the ham hock at Prairie Meats in Saskatoon.) Cook two cups yellow split peas in water (green peas are good, too) with one chopped onion and a bay leaf until the peas are soft. (I did this in a crock pot.) In a soup pot, combine split peas and the meat from the ham hock. Also a few chopped carrots. Top up with water and cook until the carrots are done. Season to your taste with @ 2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Done! Like most soups, it's better the second day.

2 comments:

JoyD said...

Love lentil soups, bean soups, pasta fusuli (?) . . . I had a bean soup at L'Huit (Le 8), a small "mom and pop" restaurant in Ste. Foy La Grande, across the bridge from where we spend some of our time. It was a cool end of June day and the bean soup was exactly like one my mother used to prepare and I would not eat! Now of course, I want to duplicate the recipe and am sure with the motivation from this post, I will be able to. It really is simple . . . soup that is . . .

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thanks for weighing in, Joy. Hope you score that recipe... and share it with me. :-)

PS There's NO way I would eat pea soup when I was a kid either, but thankfully we've grown up!!