Thursday, July 25, 2013

More zucchini flowers to eat!

As you may know, zucchini flowers are one of the culinary highlights of my summer. My friend Darlene, who summers in the Bordeaux region of France, inspired me to try them this way:

Make a stuffing of ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, chopped basil, bread crumbs and a dash of salt. Scoop a bit into each flower and twist the petals to seal. Froth one egg with a fork. Roll the flowers in the egg wash then coat lightly with flour seasoned with a bit more salt. Fry in hot vegetable oil. Eat warm, like a summer day.

I like this method better than battering the flowers, which is how I've done it in the past. Also, the addition of ricotta cheese made a creamier filling. I'm ready to try this again - thank goodness there's no shortage of zucchini flowers!

Additional note: I made these for a friend who cannot eat gluten -- left out the bread crumbs and rolled them in chickpea flour before frying.

No comments: