Monday, July 15, 2013

Deep Fried Zucchini Flowers

I love eating flowers. Just the idea of it makes me smile. I especially love eating flowers that have a tiny baby zucchini attached!

 
Zucchini flowers are just the right size for a filling of: fresh bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and chopped basil. Twist the flower ends to hold in the filling. Roll the flowers through a batter of: chickpea flour, baking soda, water and salt. Fry in hot vegetable oil until brown on both sides. Remove to paper towel and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Eat warm and smile. :)

The great thing about zucchini is they're always making more flowers!

2 comments:

JoyD said...

Hi Amy Jo,

My version is to stuff the blossoms with ricotta cheese flavoured with basil, salt, pepper and an egg and maybe a few bread crumbs to bind. You can dip them in an egg wash mixture and then fry lightly on olive oil to carmelize for a golden touch and some texture. Sometimes I don't bother with the egg wash. Then put in a slow oven to cook the egg in the stuffing. It's a nice entrée - that's a starter here (not the main as in North America) and it's forgiving if the aperitif hour lasts a little longer.

Missing my vegetable garden in Saskatoon!
JoyD

Amy Jo Ehman said...

That sounds delicious! I'll try that tonight as I seem to have had an explosion of zucchini flowers!!