Wednesday, May 08, 2013

First Spinach Salad of the Year

As soon as the snow melted on my plot in the community garden, the spinach was turning green. It had been left in the garden last year, dormant over winter, but obviously raring to go as soon as it warmed up.

I tossed the spinach with a dressing of mayo (thinned with milk), mustard, salt and pepper, along with very thinly sliced red onion, diced cooked bacon and hard boiled egg. This is a 95% percent Saskatchewan salad. Only the mayo, salt and pepper are from 'away'.

After eating this salad, I went back into the garden and planted lettuce, arugula, radishes and peas. Gosh, it feels good to be warm again!

4 comments:

JoyD said...

Your excitement about the weather is evident as you write about the spinach. When we left Saskatoon there still was snow on the ground so I am pleased and a little surprised that you are eating spinach from your garden. I am having a "new" experience with a native French "green" named blette. It has a peppery-ness about it that is a great taste for someone who likes things picante. Spinach and blette - two most edible signs of spring on each side of the pond.

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Blette is Swiss Chard. Not yet planted in my garden as I need to buy some seed. Wish I was eating blette with you and Leon!!

JoyD said...

Good grief - I know swiss chard - it looks similar but in fact it has huge "leaves", it is much bigger and seemed somehow different, perhaps simply because it is bigger. My washing machine is smaller, my car is smaller, my fridge is smaller but the swiss chard, now that is much bigger.

It is midnight here so Leon and I wish you Bonne Nuit . . . swiss chard, how could I have not known?

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Perhaps they have different varieties of blette/swiss chard in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised...