Friday, November 25, 2011

Jack-o-Lantern Pie

Our Halloween jack-o-lantern has become our Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. American Thanksgiving, that is, since my better half is from south of the 49th. You can never be thankful enough...


That previous Saturday, America's Test Kitchen cooked the "perfect" pumpkin pie. I tried their recipe and it was the best pumpkin pie I've ever made. (The other one is a distant memory...) So, if you've still got a pumpkin hanging around, give it the pie treatment.

If you follow America's Test Kitchen, you know the recipes are long and detailed -- full of technique and the reasons behind it. So, follow this link for the full recipe. Note: I didn't use candied sweet potatoes, but instead used a good three cups of pumpkin puree. I baked the pumpkin and pureed it before using it in this recipe.

Further note: After pressing the pumpkin custard through a sieve, there was about a cup of pulp left over, which I will bake into pumpkin muffins this week.

No comments: