Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ply me with lemons...

I do a bit of public speaking and, for that, I am often rewarded with a special gift. But few gifts could be as rare and special as this collection of Saskatchewan-grown lemons (and one lime) presented to me at the Saskatchewan Food Summit earlier this month.


The lemons were grown by my friend Nair -- carefully bred and selected to produce bush lemons that grow indoors in low-light prairie conditions. Check out the labels -- the one called "Centurion" will be released to the public to mark the centennial of the University of Saskatchewan next year. And a sour time was had by all...

8 comments:

Jasmine said...

This looks absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

JJ Moneysauce said...

I can't find much information on these...has the variety been released yet?

JJ Moneysauce said...

just leaving another comment to flag reply

Amy Jo Ehman said...

No, they haven't been released. I'm honestly not sure what happened to them. I'll make some inquiries.

JJ Moneysauce said...

Thanks AJ, I'd love to know.

P.S. I'd be into going in on some morels if you get some in the spring!

Amy Jo Ehman said...

My mushrooming guy didn't get any morels last year so I'm hoping he had better luck this spring. Will keep you in mind.

JJ Moneysauce said...

Last year must have been a weird year for mushrooms in general. There were almost zero chanterelles up near La Ronge, it was just so dry.

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Yes, I only got half the chanterelles I wanted last year before the dried up. Let's hope for better times this year...