Monday, January 03, 2011

Apple Rosemary Jelly

I had time over the holidays to make a batch of apple rosemary jelly, which goes very well with pork chops, sausages and anything venison. I picked the apples from my neighbour's tree, which hangs abundantly over my back fence, and made the juice last summer. The rosemary isn't local -- my friend Colin brought it back from his property on Hornby Island. Oh well, it's hard to be pure Saskatchewan in the middle of winter...


To make Apple Rosemary Jelly, follow instructions for plain old apple jelly, adding a generous sprig of rosemary to the jelly as it's cooking in the pot. Remove the rosemary before pouring the hot jelly into jars. Before placing the lids, add a small flourish of fresh rosemary to each jar.

For a quicker method, buy a jar of apple jelly from the farmers' market. Melt the jelly in a saucepan, adding some fresh rosemary for flavour. Clean the jar and pour the jelly back into it to cool. Voila!

No comments: