Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It's Mushroom Heaven

We may be complaining about the cold, damp summer, but the mushrooms love it. To quote my mushroom man, Lorne Terry, of Whitefox: "We've had real miserable weather, so it's good."

The morels were good this year -- better then BC with its heat and fires -- attracting pickers and buyers from across the West.

Then the chanterelles came on strong. As long as the weather stays warm, not hot, with a mix of sunny and rainy days, Lorne says the mushrooms will continue to produce. Which means I'm in mushroom heaven, too!

7 comments:

JJ Moneysauce said...

Again, I'd love to know how you do this. I pick my own chanterelles but would be interested in pooling an order or getting some of my own!

Home for Dinner said...

I don't think it's too late to get some bulk chanterelles. How do I contact you JJ? Or you can call me -- I'm in the Saskatoon phone book.
Amy

JJ Moneysauce said...

I should have been more clear...I have a bunch of chanties in the freezer, and I should be able to get more next weekend. I'm probably more curious about morels and pines in bulk. I will bear your invitation in mind and try and contact you in the spring when you are getting morels. Keep up the blogging, I really enjoy it!

Jason

Home for Dinner said...

Pine season is coming up. I've never bought them bulk, but I'll inquire.

JJ Moneysauce said...

Cool. In the meantime, I will try and pick a few pines next weekend. I'm pretty sure I found some last week, but I wasn't sure of their ID so I just took pictures and referenced the pictures later (pretty sure they were actually pines). If you wish to contact me you should be able to email me?

Home for Dinner said...

I don't think I have your email address.

JJ Moneysauce said...

I can't seem to find yours from your profile either.

jason dot gogal at gmail dot com.