Wednesday, June 03, 2009

My neighbour's mom's SCHLUPFKUCHEL

Andrea wrote: "This is the recipe for my mom's "Schlupfküchel", which some people call "Grebbel". It's a German-Russian recipe that both of my grandmothers made."

Since I am also of German-Russian heritage, I love fried bread! Here it is pictured with a hearty bowl of split pea and ham soup.

Blend:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugardash salt

In bowl, beat:
2 eggs
3 tbsp sour cream
1/4 cup milk

Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients (add more milk if needed). Knead. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into squares (2"x 2"), cut a slit in the middle, and pull dough through slit to twist.

Heat oil in a pot, and put in a few pieces. Brown on both sides and remove onto paper towel to drain.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I live in Germany and have never had these. I will definitely try your recipe.