Thursday, August 21, 2008

CBC Radio calling - A harvest dinner

During harvest, my dad's supper was packed into a lunchbox and included nothing that couldn't be eaten with one hand (because he wanted to eat while he drove the combine). Other farmers go to the other extreme, stopping to eat a hot picnic supper delivered to the field with the whole family. My ideal harvest supper would be somewhere in between -- a cold meal that I would stop to eat in the shade of the grain truck or a grove of trees. Of course, it would be a Saskatchewan meal...


Cold chicken
Homemade canned pears
Zucchini cookies (below)


ZUCCHINI COOKIE
(from the cookbook Zucchini: You Can Never Have Enough by John Butler)
1/2 cup soft butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
pinch baking soda
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup raisins
1 cup rolled oats

Note: If the zucchini is young and fresh, I leave the skin on for a nice green fleck in the cookies. However, if the skin is thick I would peel the zucchini first.

Cream together the butter, egg and vanilla. Mix the baking soda into the honey, and stir into the creamed butter. Sift the flours, baking powder and salt over the creamed mixture and blend well. Add the zucchini, raisins and oats and blend until mixed. Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. (I prefer to use a silicon mat rather than grease the pan.) Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog. Love the "eat local" message that brings to light all that Saskatchewan has to offer. I am also a Saskatchewan producer. Check out what I do at www.freshairflavours.com. Will check back in with you often.

Amy said...

Thanks! I know your products because I've bought them from Jenni at the New Ground Cafe in Birch Hills. I haven't figured out yet what to do with the lilac jelly. What do you recommend?