Sunday, July 08, 2007

New farmers market in Saskatoon

There's a new farmers' market in Saskatoon. It was started to fill the gap created when the Saskatoon Farmers' Market moved into its new permanent location and stopped holding satellite markets around the city. The new group can be found:

Saturday 8 am-2 pm Lawson Heights Mall parking lot
Tuesday 8 am - 2 pm outside London Drugs on 8th Street
Wednesday 8 am - 2 pm Market Mall parking lot
Thursday 8 am - 2 pm in front of Peavey Mart on 51 Street

I attended the Saturday market, which was a bit thin (only four vendors). But one of those vendors was a Hutterite Colony from down south near Cabri with beautiful cabbages and broccoli (which have not yet made an appearance at the Saskatoon Farmers' Market). I hope they can sell enough veggies to pay for the drive up from Cabri four times a week!

I was told that some vendors from the Saskatoon Farmers' Market will be attending the satellite markets on weekdays, so there should be a few more vendors to choose from. I'm sure the seniors who live in the highrises around Market Mall are quite pleased, and I'm glad that I can continue to shop the market at Peavey Mart on Thursday. The more local veggie opportunities the better!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you! Downtown is not handy for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am wondering how one would get invovled in these smaller markets that happen in parking lots in Saskatoon. I sell custom made cupcakes and cake and a few other items. Any information would be helpful!
Thanks

barbara said...

is any of this info on these markets current?????

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Hi Barbara,
Please see this link for the current market information: http://homefordinner.blogspot.ca/2012/07/community-farmers-markets.html.
Thanks for asking!
Amy

Dina said...

Hi Amy,
I am interested becoming in the vendor. Do I have to be a S'toon Farmers Market member? CAn you please explain to me how to get in?
Thank you for your time.

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Sorry, Dina, I don't know the rules. You'll have to contact the market directly. Try emailing Gerald at gerald.l.harrison@shaw.ca

Anonymous said...

Who do I contact about setting up at these markets?

Anonymous said...

Hi, we love the purple onions in your header photo. Arranged like that they resemble tulips. Excellent composition!










Amy Jo Ehman said...

Why thank you Anonymous. I never saw it that way but yes, tulips are loveable.

harriet said...

will there be green tomatoes for sale. On 51st, at peavey mart this coming Thursday. Please leave a response. Harriet.

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Sorry Harriet I don't now if there will be tomatoes. I'm not associated with the market, I just shop there now and then.