Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The cup is not half full - ONION TARTE

I bought a shiney new set of silver measuring cups from the restaurant store on 2nd Ave. in Saskatoon. I didn't really need them, but I was bored with my old plastic measuring cups and I liked the way the metal cups clanged together. I used them every time I cooked for two months. Until yesterday. I discovered that the 1/2 cup is, in fact, almost 3/4 of a cup. The 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup aren't quite right either. Only the one-cup was accurate. There's a lesson in this: 1) cook by feel, not precision, 2) never take your measuring cups for granted.

ONION TART
3 big onions
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
1/4 cup (more or less) diced ham or cooked bacon
puff pastry or pizza dough

Cut the onions into a dice. Heat the chicken broth in a skillet, add the onions, and simmer until the onions are quite soft. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and the ham and continue cooking until the liquid is just about gone. Roll out the dough. Spread the onions to cover the dough and bake, 350 F., about 25 minutes, until the dough is cooked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like my metal measuring cups too! I have a little hook for them on my wall, and tend to think they look very pretty there.

Glad to know I'm not completely silly for having these little cooking vanities!