Friday, September 01, 2006

Saskatchewan Sea Salt

As readers of this blog will know, my husband and I ate almost exclusively the foods of Saskatchewan in our own home for a whole year. During that time, people would try to catch me cheating by naming a food that no one could do without. Like salt and pepper. Where did I get Saskatchewan salt and pepper?

Hah! That’s easy. First of all, I buy peppercorns from Carole Stratychuk at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market. She grows the pepper on her vacation farm in Costa Rica, where she spends the winter months. So, while it’s not grown in Saskatchewan, it is grown by Saskatchewan hands.

As for salt, that’s even easier. There is a Sifto salt mine at Unity where they make table salt, kosher salt, pickling salt, water softener salt and salt licks for livestock. I toured the salt mine yesterday and was really impressed with the operation. The salt is extracted from an ancient sea bed 4,000 feet below the surface of the earth. To get the salt, they shoot down enough water to create a brine, pump it to the surface, and evaporate off the liquid. Voila, billion-year-old sea salt from Saskatchewan!

In the store, look on the box for a little circle that contains some letters and the number 69. That number denotes products from the Unity salt mine.

1 comment:

Joanne Hay said...

I am creating a Meme, called Nourishing Meme, that I think you'd like to be part of.
I can't find any contact details. Could you contact me through my website. www.nourished.com.au