Friday, September 22, 2006

Killer Spinach

So, we have been told not to eat spinach from the grocery store. The spinach could be contaminated with E-coli which has killed one person and made countless sick. The U.S. FDA says it's not a case of food tampering. But I say it is! We are tampering with our natural food system by relying on distant cheap-labour mega-farms for our fresh food. Standards slip, things go wrong, one mistake affects millions of consumers.

I will not be throwing out my store-bought spinach because I don't buy spinach in the store. I buy spinach from the local farmers' market when it's in season. I also grow my own and freeze it for winter months. If we stay connected to the sources of our food we are much less likely to be the victims of killer produce.

No comments: