Sunday, June 25, 2006

Hooked on Breakfast - MY MORNING MARTINI

Last winter, I ate something that changed my life.

My husband and I took a little winter getaway to the mineral spa in Moose Jaw. We were sitting in our terry robes by the side of the pool, having a morning coffee in the Morningside Cafe, when a woman walked by with the most amazing breakfast parfait. Imagine a martini glass filled with layers of granola, yogurt and fresh fruit. When I got home to Saskatoon, I went out and bought martini glasses just so I could start every day this way.

I've been making it with thawed berries that I put away last fall, and I'm now waiting patiently for the strawberries and raspberries to ripen so I can make a Saskatchewan version of the Morningside breakfast parfait. I call it...

MY MORNING MARTINI
Take one martini glass (per person). Fill the very bottom with granola. Top it with fruit. Cover with yogurt. Repeat the layering. Top the whole thing off with the most gorgeous raspberry (or strawberry) you picked that morning. Eat with a spoon. (You can stir if you want, but shaking would be a mess!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

My friend Bill is quite a purist when it comes to beverages. So, he took umbrange with my use of the word 'martini' for this recipe when there is obviously no martini-type alcohol involved. (It's the glass, Bill...) Anyway, to make it more authentic, I advise that you do like Winston Churchill when you make this recipe -- glance at a bottle of vermouth!

Anita Warriner said...

Amy Jo:

I am very glad you are doing the "Home for Dinner" thing both as an organic farmer, and dweller of this planet.

Anyway, I would like to be in touch with you about being part of an event that I am coordinating at Calling Lakes Centre in Fort Qu'Appelle (formerly known as Prairie Christian Training Centre) that is happening March 16 - 18, 2007. Sally Fallon, a nutritionist, chef and author is our guest for the weekend and she will be introducing participants to her quite radical (compared to popular culture and media) ideas about good nutrition, which are based on ancient traditions. She is the director of the Weston Price Foundation (westonaprice.org). The upshot of what she talks about is that we should be eating freshly prepared, non-processed, local foods, including raw dairy products and plenty of saturated fats. (yes, I said saturated). I heard her speak a couple of years ago, and her well-researched lectures completely changed how I thought about good nutrition. I also got a healthy dose of "why do I believe what I do about good nutrition?" Anyway, I am trying to pull farm groups, church groups and consumers together for this event which I hope will spark further interest in developing local markets. I am wondering if you might be able to talk about your experience in eating locally to add to the discussion. If you could e-mail me, I can send you more information.
I hope you're eating well this summer. If you're short on vegetables, I have a garden FULL.

Thanks for your time,
Anita Warriner warriner.farm@sasktel.net