Saturday, June 17, 2006

Greens coming out of my ears! - PERSIAN EGG PIE

This morning for breakfast I had yogurt with saskatoon berries. There -- I fulfilled my daily requirement to eat something picked by my own hand. I picked those saskatoons last summer at Last Mountain Lake. For supper, I tried a new recipe that I call a Persian Egg Pie. It's adapted from a recipe that I found in "Flatbreads and Flavours" by Naomi Duguid and Jeffrey Alford. Eventhough this dish originates in Iran, it's made with ingredients found here in Saskatchewan.

I met Jeffrey and Naomi a few years ago when I interviewed them for a radio documentary about homemade bread for the CBC program Ideas. They're my heroes - travelling the world, collecting photos and recipes, and writing fabulous cookbooks. If I were stranded on a desert island with a well-stocked kitchen, this is the cookbook I would want to have with me. In that cookbook, this dish is called koukouye sabzi.

PERSIAN EGG PIE
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1.5 cup spinach leaves, shredded
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 tbsp. finely chopped dill
8 eggs
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 tsp. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. plain yogurt
salt and pepper and vegetable oil

Mix together all the chopped greens. In another bowl, beat the eggs and pine nuts. In a cup, mix the flour and water to a paste. In another cup, mix the yogurt and baking powder.

Stir the flour paste into the eggs. Stir in the yogurt mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Pour this egg mixture over the vegetables and herbs and blend well.

Heat a cast iron skillet on low heat. Add the vegetable oil and swirl it around the bottom and sides of the pan. Pour in the egg mixture. Put the skillet in the oven (325 degrees F) and bake about 35 minutes, until the eggs are set in the middle. Serve warm or cold, as an appetizer or a light meal with bread.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Amy, this dish looks very fabulous. I'm going to try it this weekend!