Saturday, April 01, 2006

Saskatchewan Food Sources

These are the Saskatchewan food producers I rely on most. There are many many more producers around the province that I have not yet tried - but hope to soon! The three best places to shop for Saskatchewan foods in Saskatoon are 1) the farmers’ market 2) the Saskatchewan Made Marketplace on 8th Street and 3) Co-op grocery stores.

Meat
Al Bennett – Meacham. Al was a conventional dairy farmer who decided to go au natural. Today, he raises grain-fed pastured cattle. He sells by the half or quarter, and he also has meat already cut, wrapped and frozen for quick sale. 944-4340. The meat is very lean and tasty.

Natureworks Farm – near Saskatoon. An organic grass-fed meat/egg farm run by Lori Bilanski and her family. They have lamb, pork, chickens, turkeys, beef and eggs. They sell at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market, or call 283-4638. We bought a half a pig and are quite pleased with Lori’s cured hams and bacon.

Sage Hill Buffalo Ranch – Cudworth. Joe Saxinger raises and sells organic bison, fresh or frozen cuts. We buy his buffalo salami at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market. He also sells buffalo soup bones with lots of meat on them. 306- 256-3232.

Emco Meats – Saskatoon. The German butcher processes meat in the European fashion: bratwurst, weisswurst, prosciutto, Hungarian paprika sausage, etc. The owner’s son, Boyan, sells some of the cured products at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market. 306-652-7474. We’ve become addicted to their cured pork – it can be used as a bacon substitute without all the fat.

Karen and John Dale – Meacham. We buy free-range chickens from the Dales. They clean the chickens and deliver them frozen. If you like chicken livers, be sure to ask for them because they are sold separately from the chicken. 306-944-4241.

Co-op – The Co-op grocery stores make sausages in-house. Also look for these brands: Drake, Harvest, Mitchell’s.

Pine View Farms – Osler. Melanie and Kevin Boldt sell natural chicken, beef, pork, lamb and sausages. They have a store on the farm and a weekly farmers’ market in the summer. You can also find their chickens in Co-op grocery stores in Saskatoon. www.pineviewfarms.com. 306-239-4763.

Greens
Mumm’s Sprouting Seeds – Parkside. The Mumm family sells locally-grown sprouting seeds as well as seeds from around the world. They are the largest supplier of organic sprouting seeds in North America, a business they operate out of an old one-sheet curling rink. 747-2943. www.sprouting.com.

Grandora Gardens – Grandora. Pat and Fred Gittings grow greenhouse lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, herbs and bell peppers. By late February, they are usually selling the first greens at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market. Cucumbers available at Co-op grocery stores in Saskatoon.

M & M Garlic – White Fox. Dave and Krista McBain pickle all sorts of vegetables including garlic. 306-276-2518.

Saskatoon Farmers' Market - I buy most of my vegetables here (other than what I grow myself).

Flour and grains
Daybreak Farms – Estevan. Ray and Marianne Aspinall have a mill on their farm to produce superior flours and milled grains like pearl barley and rolled oats. 306-927-2695. www.daybreakschereskymill.com.

Cerridwen Farms – Medstead. Organic lentils, split peas, flax, bran and flours through the mail. 306-342-4516.

Robin Hood Flour – A big mill in Saskatoon.

Pasta
Primo Pasta – I buy this brand because the label indicates it is made of Canadian durum wheat, 80% of which is grown in Saskatchewan.

Dairy
Saputo – Saskatoon. There is one dairy facility in Saskatchewan. It processes cheese, yogurt, sour cream, milk and other products under the Dairyland label. Look for the number 4015 on the package. (Every dairy plant in Canada has an identity code.) However, the cheese made in Saskatoon is packaged elsewhere and therefore has different code numbers. Cheddar and mozzarella made in Saskatoon carry the label Armstrong and Co-op. You can also find a Dairyland saskatoon berry yogurt at the Co-op.

Fruit
Saskatchewan Fruit Growers Assoc. publishes a list/map of U-pick fruit farms in Saskatchewan. www.saskfruit.com.

Yoanna Orchard – Radisson. The largest apple orchard on the prairies, run by Craig and Yvette Hamilton. They also have Saskatchewan cherries and plums. U-Pick only. 306-827-2269.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This website is brilliant... I am excited about reading the whole thing, and continuously.
Saskatchewan is an amazing source of high quality foods and it's great to see them documented here, and I will use this information to source foods as well as to inform friends.

Dean said...

Hi Amy Jo
I just listend to, and greatly enjoyed, your CBC item on Breaking Bread, and ended up here. As I am new to your blog I have not read much of it yet, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of the Good Food Box as a way to get Saskatchewan produce. It is a CHEP program http://www.chep.org/, so purchasing food through them supports their other excelent programs by increasing their buying power. It is not strictly Sask foods, but they support the local economy first and formost. I recomend it for anyone.

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thanks for your comments, Dean. I am aware of the Good Food Box. However, I haven't signed up for it because I go to the Farmers' Market just about every Saturday (and more often in the summer) and get my veggies there. But if anyone asks me, I do recommend the Good Food Box and the Farmers' Market for good healthy produce.

Anonymous said...

I've been invaded with Saskatchewan Abundance. What do you do with all the plums? I have made pies in the past but find them almost bitter no matter how much sweetner used. Is it a matter of cooking the plums on their own before adding sweetner? I know some fruit is like that.

Would appreciate guidance from anyone.

Suz

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get Sask-grown dried sour cherries. I know that we have several excellent varieties that were developed here and are being grown. I love dried sour cherries, but can't find a Sask-grown version in our stores.

Cam

Amy said...

I wish I could suggest a source of dried Saskatchewan cherries, but I don't know of any. I picked and dried them myself. It was very easy to do in the oven. I followed instructions in the Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving: Wash, stem and pit the cherries. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Dry at 160 F (70 C) for two hours. Turn down the oven to 130 F (55 C) until the cherries have lost 82 percent of their water content -- leathery and slightly sticky. These dried cherries keep several months in the cupboard without spoiling.

Anonymous said...

Great to run across"Cerrigan" while looking for Medstead!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy Jo
I called the couple you bought your free range chickens from who live in Meacham, but they are no longer selling them. Do you know of any one else that sells any? I buy a large number in the fall and would like some good tasting roasters. Hope you could help me with finding someone.

Amy Jo Ehman said...

This list is 4 years old! I should probably remove it from my blog. Currently, I buy most of my eggs at the Saskatoon farmers market. If you're interested in chickens and eggs, contact Janeen at Cool Springs Ranch. Website: www.coolspringsranch.ca
Email: eatreal@coolspringsranch.ca
They deliver to Saskatoon on Saturdays. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any where to buy meat in Saskatoon that does not use slaughterhouses? I know there are many places to get organic and free run, etc, but I have not been able to find any info on the use of slaughterhouses for these products. Any info would be appreciated!

Anonymous said...

do all co-ops in sask in smaller towns purchase meat products from the same places as the city co-ops do

Anonymous said...

Great information! I wonder if you know of anyone who sells grass fed butter?

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Short answer, No. Grass fed butter (or any dairy products) cannot be sold directly to consumers unless the farmer has a "quota" to do so, and few of the grass fed farmers (if any, to my knowledge) have that. Also, dairy products must be pasteurized by law, and few farmers (if any) are set up to do that. Some may sell raw unpasteurized off-quota milk/butter to friends, but they wouldn't broadcast it via the internet for risk of being shut down or fined. It's a strange situation, but there it is...