Saturday, February 18, 2006

Week 43 & 44 - SWISS CHARD RAVIOLI

Saskatchewan Menu of the Week – 17 February 2006

Breakfast – Pancakes with preserved fruit.
Lunch – Grilled cheese sandwich.
Dinner – Swiss chard ravioli. Tomato basil sauce. Sponge cake with cherry sauce.

SWISS CHARD RAVIOLI
I make this stuffing in the summer when Swiss chard is abundant and freeze it for winter pasta making. We usually make a large batch of ravioli and freeze what we don’t eat right away. I make the dough and my husband rolls it. (We have a Pasta Queen pasta roller and a ravioli press, which make the task quite easy.) To make the dough, I blend 2 cups of flour with 3 beaten farm eggs and a spot of water. After mixing with a fork, I work it into a ball with my hands, wrap it in a plastic bag, and leave it in the fridge at least an hour before rolling it.

If you don’t have a pasta maker or a ravioli press, you can use this stuffing inside purchased cannelloni. It can also be made with spinach. For the tomato-basil sauce, see the recipe in the August 2005 archives. To make your own ricotta cheese, see the technique in the April 2005 archives.

1 pound Swiss chard, parboiled and squeezed dry. (or thawed and squeezed)
1cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp each fresh thyme and fresh rosemary (or half as much dried herbs)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything together well and stuff something!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Recipe!

I'm going to add a smidgeon of sausage... and I think I'll serve the ravioli in a browned sage butter.

Thanks,

Gary Malcolm