Saturday, January 14, 2006

Week 39 & 40 - SASKATOON BERRY PIE

Saskatchewan Menu of the Week -- 14 January 2006

Breakfast -- Leftover Saskatoon Berry Pie.
Lunch -- Leftover pasta.
Dinner -- Leftover roast chicken and coleslaw

My husband seems to think pie is an inappropriate food for breakfast. Cake, he's fine with, and I must admit leftover chocolate cake with my morning coffee is delightful. But this morning I walked groggily into the kitchen and there staring at me from the counter was a wedge of saskatoon berry pie, leftover from a family dinner last night. I waited until he was out the door and I very leisurely enjoyed that piece of pie.

If you are interested in making a saskatoon berry pie, you must first secure a source of saskatoon berries. These grow wild in Saskatchewan and I learned to pick them from a very young age. Nowadays, some orchards are growing saskatoons and you can even buy them frozen in the Co-op grocery store. Outside of Saskatchewan, it is called a June berry or a service berry, but I don’t hear about people using them for pies. (Correct me if I’m wrong.) Here, they become pies, jams, syrups, sparkling juice and even covered in chocolate.

To make a saskatoon berry pie, mix four cups of berries with 1/2 cup sugar, 2T of tapioca and a dash of salt. If the berries are frozen, let them thaw a bit to blend with the sugar. Sprinkle in 1 tsp of almond extract. Spread into a pie shell. Place a few dabs of butter on the berries and cover with the top crust. Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake the pie at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn it down to 375 degrees for about half an hour.

3 comments:

Andy-superroofer-Jennings said...

You are so funny and that pie combat is terrific.
My wife is always eating out of the pie pan too.
We men are so in the box sometimes that you women are there to cut that cardboard for us.
You sound smart and cute so just keep on letting we out here know all about your adventures and I'll keep coming back for more of your observations.

Thanks,
Andy
In California
Eating pie too
http://gr8galaxy.blogspot.com/

Ramona said...

...yours was the first recipe i found, that i trusted, for my first attempt at making a saskatoon berry pie from saskatoon berries that i had picked in calgary. thank you SO much for the recipe, it was a charm and the pies were perfect - i will use this recipe again! thank you for sharing!!

Johnny V. said...

Hi. I teach English as a second language to new immigrants and we are reading our way across Canada. As we "stop" in each province on our map, we listen to some of the music and taste a local delicacy. When I visited Saskatchewan, I had Saskatoon berry pie. I would like to serve it to my students. Do you know where I can get this pie in Ontario? I live near London.