Friday, November 04, 2005

Week 29 - MOOSE (OR BEEF) SOPAS

Saskatchewan Menu of the Week -- 29 October 2005

Breakfast – Pancakes.
Lunch – Chocolate bowtie croissant (from Christie's Bakery)
Dinner – Raw carrots. Yellow pea 'fava' on bread. Moose Sopas. Ice cream with cherry sauce.

MOOSE (OR BEEF) SOPAS
Sopas is a Portuguese beef stew. I found the original recipe in Saveur magazine. I tried it with beef and moose. I actually prefer the moose, but the beef is good, too. The coriander, tomatoes and mint were from my garden. The moose was a gift from our friend, Jeff, an avid hunter.

You’ll need a piece of cheesecloth or a tea ball.

1/2 tsp whole allspice berries
1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds
1/2 tsp whole cloves
3-4 pound moose roast
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 bay leaves
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup tomato sauce (I used 1/2 cup sauce and 1 cup tomatoes)
1 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp cinnamon
Salt to taste
3 cups water
Day-old French or Italian bread, sliced
Chopped mint for garnish

Secure the allspice, coriander and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth or tea ball.

Put this bag of spices in a large pot with the meat and everything else (but the bread and mint). Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender.

Scoop out the meat to a large bowl and shred it with two forks. Discard the spice bag.

To serve, place a piece of bread in the centre of a plate or bowl. Scatter on a handful of shredded meat. Pour on a ladle of broth. Sprinkle with mint and serve.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have been eating locally in Vancouver for the past year. Family and friends in Saskatchewan kept telling us it couldn't be done on the prairies (even though our grandparents were doing it only a few decades ago). Thanks for bringing the practice back into style!

A local food phenomenon on the west coast is the 100-mile diet, written about at http://www.thetyee.ca/Life/2005/10/10/Thanksgiving100/

And anyone looking for local food literature should pick up a copy of Stanley Park by Timothy Taylor.

Great project and great blog! Thanks. If you're ever out west we would be happy to treat you to a local meal and trade local eating stories.

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thanks! I have been reading about the 100-mile diet in the Tyee. (I also enjoyed "Stanley Park".) I am pleasntly surprised how easy it is to eat Saskatchewan - our grandparents would be amazed at the variety of foods produced here today. If they could do it, anyone can! Let me return the invitation. If you're ever in Saskatchewan (and you abviously have ties) we'll cook for you!

Darlene said...

I just discovered your blog today and I'm looking forward to visiting often. Owing to your television work, I feel like I have already met you. Congratulations to you for your adventure in eating locally. I do a column in Neighbourhood Express and have freelanced in several regional publications. Yours is a great story! May I mention your blog in my column? You have inspired me to eat locally in a more conscientious manner. Thanks so much!

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Thanks, Darlene. Of course, you can mention my Saskatoon food challenge in your column. Where is Neighbourhood Express published! I've love to check it out. Keep in touch!

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Oops, I meant to write "Saskatchewan" food challenge. (Darn those fingers...)

darlene said...

Thanks for the go-ahead, Amy Jo.

Neighbourhood Express began as a monthly tabloid in Sutherland. It is still a monthly and one of the free distribution papers in Saskatoon. It's now delivered to several neighbourhoods. You can see visit their website which features the most recent editions at www.theneighbourhoodexpress.com.

I can hardly wait to read about what's on the table at your house for Christmas!