Saturday, April 16, 2005

The First Bite - GERMAN POTATO SALAD

A Chinese proverb says a journey of 1000 miles begins with one step. My journey of 365 days begins with one bite. It was a mouthful of warm potato salad topped with fresh chives from my garden, served with weisswurst from the farmers' market and my mom's pickles. With the first bite, I began a culinary adventure I call "Home for Dinner" because I pledge to serve local foods almost exclusively on my dinner table.
Like all journeys, I began by poring over books (cookbooks, in this case) and plotting an itinerary. The journey would begin the first day of spring I ate something green from my garden (today!). It would take me to farms, farmers markets, roadside stalls, small-town groceries and large manufacturers in a search for the foods grown and raised in my home province, Saskatchewan.

And so, I set off on a journey that brings me closer to home with every bite.

Warm German Potato Salad
(adapted from Saveur, Oct. 2003)

4-5 potatoes
1 cup chicken stock, hot
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp vinegar
4 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper
fresh chopped chives

Cook the potatoes. Drain and cool slightly. Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet. Saute onion until soft. Stir in the hot stock, vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper.

When potatoes are cool enough to handle, but still quite warm, slice thinly and add to the stock mixture. Serve sprinkled with chives.

Sources: my dad's potatoes; homemade chicken stock; my garden chives

No comments: