Thursday, June 27, 2013

Madly Truly Spinach

The spinach and cilantro in my garden are growing like mad so I'm madly looking for sympathetic recipes. Add to that my recent visit to Buffalo, NY, where I purchased a jar of Maharajah curry powder at the Penzeys store. Throw in an eggplant from the farmers' market and some Saskatchewan-grown chickpeas and this is what you get...













Madly Truly Chickpea Spinach Curry
2 tbsp olive oil, plus more if needed
1 eggplant
1/2 red onion
3 cups cooked chickpeas
2-3 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
2 cups finely chopped spinach
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

Cut the eggplant into a small dice, roughly 1 cm square. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium high in a big skillet. Cook the eggplant, turning frequently, until it's nicely brown on two sides. The eggplant may absorb the oil so add more as needed.

Cut the onion into thin wedges. Toss into the eggplant. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally until the eggplant is nicely browned and the onion is soft.

Add the chickpeas, curry powder, salt and water. Stir well. Mix in the spinach. Turn the heat down, cover and cook until the spinach is done. Check once or twice if it's sticking to the pan and add a bit more water if needed. Stir in the cilantro and serve.

The oil and eggplant create a creamy combination that takes this dish from supper to succulent!

Sources: spinach and cilantro from my garden; eggplant from the farmers' market; Penzeys curry powder; locally-grown chickpeas from Diefenbaker Seed Processors.

2 comments:

Karlah said...

What kind of eggplant should I use if I want to make this curry? Sounds delish!

Amy Jo Ehman said...

I think any eggplant will do. I buy eggplant at the farmers' market which are the regular purple kind.