Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Eating Myself out of House 'n' Home

New Year's Resolution: to eat all the canned, frozen, preserved, dried and otherwise amassed Saskatchewan foods in my larder.

Last year, I asked a spice farmer if he would sell me some cumin. Yes, Saskatchewan grown cumin. He offered to mail some to me. Imagine my surprise to receive a package containing several pounds of cumin seeds. I'll have a hard time using it up one teaspoon at a time, but here goes...

From my local larder: dried chickpeas, frozen tomatoes and cumin.

Cooking the chickpeas in a slow cooker.

Chole Palak - a dish of chickpeas and spinach flavoured with cumin. Get the recipe here.

Sorry, I can't divuge the farmer's name, as he doesn't usually direct sell to the public. However, if you'd like to cook with Saskatchewan grown cumin, I'd be pleased to share some with you. (This offer expires when the cumin is gone!)

3 comments:

Michele said...

Being a proud Saskatchewanian who has also traveled the world, I would love to try some sask grown cumin. I didn't know we could grow it here. That's exciting news!

Bernie said...

I would love some!!I love cumin and use it in lots of things.
I could stop by and pick it up sometime as I work in the city.
Bernie

Amy Jo Ehman said...

Offer still stands! Send me a message with your contact info.